Categories of hosting solutions
A hosting service involves depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web hosting server hosted by a hosting provider. There are various categories of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's have a gaze at them. In that way, you can pick what you want, depending on whether you wish to build a web portal, mails, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain firms, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole purpose is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans frequently involve advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you await a specific amount of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a totally inappropriate explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would assign the workload between individual hosts of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending miscellaneous web site hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for images only. This hosting kind is suitable if you want to share an immense number of pics with buddies or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to tackling your mail aliases. Some firms provide hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to create an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video clip in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and several hundred viewers, you may have a problem with your website hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will permit you to possess as many video files as you want without worrying about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you want to possess a site. To some degree, it involves all of the abovementioned hosting sorts since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and emails, upload video files, etc. At WebHostNinja, for instance, you can see web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be limits based on the form of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for particular web content exclusively.